Thursday, August 18, 2011

And then there were two...

The deadline for filing qualifying petitions to be placed on the ballot has passed, and a challenger has emerged.  I am on the ballot running against the long-time incumbent Henry Lewis for the Ward 4 School Board seat.

I respect Henry and I think he has been an asset to the board for many years.  But when I decided I was going to run for School Board in Humboldt, I was prepared to run regardless of anybody else that might put his name in the hat.  I am running for School Board because I bring a passion for education, a new energy to the position, a vested interest in that I have two young children that will be students here, a willingness to work hard and do more than the minimum required for the job, and an ability to think outside the box and find ideas that will improve education in Humboldt.

I think anybody that has paid attention to the work I have been doing on the Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, the Chamber's Education Committee, and the HHS Alumni Association would agree that I am willing to work and dedicated to our city schools.

I will posting more in the coming months about things I want to focus on and things I am already involved in with education.  You're actually going to start hearing about our Market Research project in the next few weeks, which is something I have been thinking about since I was working on my MBA and planning for since last year.  It's an effort of the Education Committee to do research on the factors parents use in school choice and how people view Humboldt on those factors.  It's designed to give us honest feedback on where we stand in the eyes of parents making decisions on school and gives us a starting point to assess where we are and where we might need to focus.


I am excited about running for School Board and  I can't wait to get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment