Sunday, October 30, 2011

3 Days Left - The Final Countdown

We're down to the last three days of the election journey.  So far in this countdown, I've made my case for being on the School Board for my vested interest and commitment to our schools.  Today, it's about ideas.

Number 3 - Ideas

I don't have all the answers; nobody does.  What I do have is the ability to come up with ideas to make our system better.  I am an engineer, and engineers are people that find workable solutions to solve problems.  We start by identifying the problem, developing possible solutions, testing those proposed solutions to see if they're feasible, then applying those solutions in ways that will solve the problem.

Over the last 15 months I've been honored to be Chairman of the Education Committee for the Humboldt Chamber of Commerce, and in that role I have led several initiatives designed to attack some of the problems in our schools.  Our schools have a lot of good things going, and our committee only exists as a means to foster ideas and work collaboratively to bring about improvement. 

Our committee planted the seed and jump started the formation of the HHS Alumni Association.  We are working on a market research project that is designed to find out what factors parents use to choose schools and how they view Humboldt as an education option.  The committee is also tackling our school system's online image and developed an alliance between students at HHS and the school district website administrator.  These students will be involved in the development and maintenance of information on the websites, giving them great real-world experience that helps their school.

We don't have to reinvent the wheel.  We just need to have people on the Board that are willing and capable of finding ideas that work and figuring out a way to bring them to Humboldt.  That's what I bring to the table, and that's another reason to vote for me for School Board.

No comments:

Post a Comment